[Ifeffit] Truncating signal

Julian Ehwald jehwald at gmail.com
Wed May 2 06:32:53 CDT 2018

Hi all,

I have basic question on background removal in Athena. My data has some
strong changes very close to the absorption edge, and if I start the
background removal at k=0, the spline is not able to follow the signal for
higher k-values (even at Rbkg=1.7 or similar). The background then
oscillates slowly (4 A^-1) around my signal, generating huge peaks in the
low regions of chi(R). If I set the spline range to begin at k=2.7 only
(around 28eV above absorption edge) then I get rid of it. Now my question in
general is, do I loose essential information about the nearest neighbours
this way, respectively is that a common thing to do?

Best, Julian