[Ifeffit] Fitting Problems in Artemis version 0.9.26

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 05:50:53 CDT 2018

Dear Huan,

Neither of those sound like a flaw in Artemis to me.

1) Fitting with a range that goes below Rbkg means fitting to a part of the data’s Fourier transform that has been suppressed by background subtraction, even though the theory’s Fourier transform has not been similarly suppressed. That will yield a misleading fit. If the newer version of Artemis does a check to prevent this, that’s actually an improvement.

2) This could always happen—you may just not happen to have seen it before. Using abs() doesn’t make the variable you are fitting positive; it makes the result which is used in the fit (the “path parameter”) positive. So if, for example, Artemis reports ss1 = -0.002, that means it used +0.002 in the fit.

Best,
Scott Calvin