[Ifeffit] data after rebinning look worse in k-space than before?

Karl-Michael Schindler karl-michael.schindler at physik.uni-halle.de
Thu Jun 28 15:05:56 CDT 2018

Hi

When it comes to rebinning and/or averaging, my preferred way is to use smoothing spline interpolation as implemented by IgorPro from Wavemetrics. With a little care, smooth curves with no artifacts can be obtained, in particular with oversampled data. We use it a lot with XPS data, where in my opinion the usual box averaging is really bad, producing lots of irrelevant wiggles in the base line, whereas smoothing splines do not have this problem. The reference for the algorithm is: "Smoothing by Spline Functions", Christian H. Reinsch, Numerische Mathematik 10. There are probably other implementations to do this.

Michael.