[Ifeffit] Ifeffit Digest, Vol 184, Issue 21

Edmund Welter edmund.welter at desy.de
Thu Jun 28 09:29:52 CDT 2018

Dear Chris,

> Rebinning is always fraught; I would normally not allow a student to
> do it...

I thought you would say that! ;-) and I share your concern, actually
that is the reason why we store ~8600 data points or more for a scan of
1200 eV. Don't mess with the raw data! But 8600 (or 22000...) is a
significant oversampling. We could simply measure for a certain longer
time per point, than read the counters and store the values. The results
turned out to be less good, some weird technical reason. We could also
sum up n points and divide the result by n, so that we would end with
8600/n data points in the final data file. In most cases that would
certainly be ok, but information would be irretrievably lost.

But, at some point one has to reduce the number of points and make use
of all the counts that were collected within a certain reasonable
interval like 0.5 eV or 0.05 Ang-1. But it looks as if artifacts might
arise from doing it twice, first explicitly by using Athena's rebin
function and than again implicitly by mapping the data onto the 0.05
Ang-1 grid.

Cheers,
Edmund