[Ifeffit] FEFF question

Loges, Anselm G anselm.loges at helsinki.fi
Mon Jun 4 16:12:14 CDT 2018

Hi everyone,

not exactly an ifeffit question, but maybe someone knows. Since I am for ome reason unable to install ifeffit or demeter on certain Linux computers (others with the same distribution and same settings work fine), I have been trying to install FEFF8-lite. However, on the downloadpage:

http://monalisa.phys.washington.edu/feff/Bin-Source-feff8Lite/Bin-Source.html

the link for the Linux binary is dead and when I try to compile from source using gfortran it does not work and throws "Error: Two main PROGRAMs at (1) and (2)". A quick look in the code reveals that none of the subroutines etc. are ended explicitly by name but only by an anonymous "end", making debugging this problem in the source a colossal nightmare in a 52951 line source file. This also likely explains where the error comes from in the first place, since lack of explicitness is the mother of portability problems.

I'm wondering: has anyone had success installing FEFF8-lite or compiling from source? If so, with what compiler? Or is there a working Linux binary wandering about the interwebs, which I have not found? I have also tried using Matt Newvilles package on Github:

https://github.com/xraypy/feff85exafs

but no luck there either. This one complains about a python package named "larch" being missing, making me think it wants a preexisting a Larch installation. Installing FEFF8L should not require Larch, only the other way round (possibly), right?

I'm lost and thankful for any and all help!

Best regards,

Anselm