[Ifeffit] Basic questions about the preliminary data processing in Athena

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Mon Jul 23 10:48:05 CDT 2018

The calibration should be done at the beamline with a foil.  Once that is
done, then you don't really want to change it.  Remember that just
shifting the energy is not actually the correct way to do a shift.  The
energy shift is a non-linear function of the angle (Bragg's Law) and so
when you shift energy you are really distorting Chi(k) since that is also
a non-linear function of energy (E^1/2).  Yes, it is usually a small
effect but I prefer not to apply too many shifts in energy if possible.

I assume that the calibrate function is the same as the align except the
E-shift is left at zero and a correction is applied permanently to the
data.

Carlo