[Ifeffit] LARCH installation issue in UBUNTU 18

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Dec 9 10:14:00 CST 2018

Hi Mahendra,

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 10:45 PM Uma Mahendra Kumar K <umamahendra at vit.ac.in>
wrote:

> Dear Dr Matt,
>
>                     Finally I have fully functional larch on my ubuntu
> 18.04.
>
> First I installed conda.
>
> Then installed all the larch dependencies listed in the larch web-page via
> conda.
>
> Later, xraylarch-0.9.40-Linux-x86_64.sh was installed using bash.
>
> As you suggested i have forced lmfit==0.9.11, installation went very well
> and i got functional larch.

OK, great to hear its working for you.

Just to be clear,  I do usually recommend installing with the
single-package installers like xraylarch-0.9.40-Linux-x86_64.sh.  That
contains all the dependencies (like, lmfit 0.9.11) and so will work without
having to install or update anything else.   It installs its own Python
environment (in /home/USER/xraylarch on linux) that does not need root
permission for installation and will be separate from the system Python,
and so can be altered, updated, or even just deleted as needed.

Cheers,

--Matt

Thanks

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431