[Ifeffit] Constraining values in Artemis fit

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:11:13 CDT 2018

Hi Andrew,

I’d add to this that it’s important to think about what it is that you are trying to figure out. At least with the systems that I’ve worked with, it is rare for the answer to that being “I would like to know the coordination number for this path.” Instead, it’s usually something like “I would like to know what fraction of the manganese ions are in sites octahedrally coordinated to oxygen as opposed to tetrahedrally coordinated,” or “I would like to know which of several possible ligands are attached to my central atom, and in what proportions.”

Those questions can yield to clues aside from the coordination number alone. For example, the metal-oxygen bond lengths are significantly different for octahedral coordination than for tetrahedral coordination. If you’re trying to distinguish between ligands, sometimes you can include paths beyond the nearest-neighbor, and so on.

I’ve often seen people who are first trying to learn EXAFS analysis think that the way to analyze their system is to first see what information they can get from a single nearest-neighbor path from a single sample under a single set of conditions. If they can’t get a precise result from that, they figure anything more complicated will yield even fuzzier results. But if you have some knowledge about your system, or about possible alternative models of your system, then that’s not the case. Comparing samples in some way, or employing more scattering paths, or measuring multiple edges and performing a combined fit, can reduce the uncertainties in fitted parameters.

In your example of coordination number and sigma^2, one possibility is to measure the same sample at different temperatures. Of course, if you expect the sample might undergo a phase change or otherwise change structure with temperature, that won’t work very well. But if you expect the structure to be fairly stable over a range of temperatures, then the coordination number might be the same for all measurements, while the sigma^2 varies. A multiple-spectrum simultaneous fit can then help.

Of course, every system, and every problem, is different. But I do think it’s important to think about your system and about what the scientific problem is that you’re trying to solve.

Best,
Scott Calvin
Lehman College of the City University of New York