[Ifeffit] Modelling texture in Artemis

Kirstine Dalgaard kjd at inano.au.dk
Thu Aug 16 10:27:42 CDT 2018

(I am not sure this is the correct way to reply to this thread, hopefully it works)

Dear Matt

Thank you for your reply! The standard, which is highly textured, is NbSe2. The Nb K-edge was scanned.

The structure consists of layers with Nb coordinated to 6 selenium atoms in a trigonal prismatic manner. Thus, the environment is not isotropic. The nearest Nb-neighbors are e.g. only in the plane of the layer.

The preferred orientation is with the stacking-axis perpendicular to the pellet plane.

I then assume that I do have an effect of the non-random orientation of bonds/paths relative to the X-ray polarization?

On slide 28 in this presentation by Bruce Ravel http://xafs.org/Workshops/NSLS2002?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Ravel.pdf it is stated that:

"FEFF is capable of computing the effect of polarization directly. The polarized theory is easily used in analysis with polarized data".

However, how do I implement this in my analysis? Is there maybe a written guide?

Best regards

Kirstine