[Ifeffit] Basic questions about the preliminary data processing in Athena

Haifeng Li hli211 at uic.edu
Tue Aug 14 18:21:23 CDT 2018

Hi, Carlo,

Thanks for your physical explanation for the calibration.

I have another question. I measured the same element at different
beamlines. So if I want to compare different samples measured at different
beamlines, how should I do for this situation given the possible different
calibration methods? I know alignment is very important and just shifting
the energy by calibrating would have issue.

Here I mean different calibration methods is dedicated for my element
ruthenium Ru with E0 of 22117 eV. The derivative curve show it has two
peaks. One beamline used the first one for calibration. The other used the
second. Another used the middle number between the two peaks by claiming
that the peaks stand for oxidation state with one peak for one oxidation
state and multiple peaks for multiple oxidation states. Here for Ru metal
with one oxidation state, since the main peak splits into two, the middle
energy between the two peaks was chose as the E0. Attached is the file of
Ru foil for more information. I do not know which one should be right. In
the manual, it shows choosing the first maximum point as the edge energy.
How should I choose the edge energy? Maybe I think too much. It does not
matter as the calibration is consistency.

The reference data from different calibration methods can be aligned very
well. This is another confusing part. Does the calibration would affect the
alignment?

Thanks in advance.

Haifeng