[Ifeffit] Mac install issues

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 4 14:29:31 CDT 2018

Hi Sam,

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 2:50 AM, Webb, Samuel M. <samwebb at slac.stanford.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I've run into a lot of problems with Mac installs in general with my
> compiled XAS programs as well, particularly with the latest High Sierra
> update.  It's been pointed out to me by a few users that another potential
> work around is to use Wine 3.0 https://www.winehq.org as an emulator of
> sorts (and its free) to run a windows program within the MacOS
> environment.  It's smaller and more compact than say Parallels or VMware as
> it doesn't do the whole operating system, hence the free part.  Its seems
> easy to install, and also makes for one less OS to maintain a distribution
> for.  It may not be the most elegant solution, but it could work for
> some... I may end up using this for myself rather than maintaining a
> native Mac distribution in the future.
> Sam

Thanks -- that's an interesting idea.  I certainly like the idea of
combining Sixpack and Wine, though do we need XAS for that ;).  I hadn't
thought about Wine in many years, and didn't realize it supported macOS.
But I just tried installing wine on high Sierra, and then Demeter and
Sixpack.   I was able to run Sixpack, though with  "wine sixpack.exe" from
the command line interface from a "Open Wine Stable".  It seemed like it
was working (read in some data, and plotted it anyway).  Trying to install
and run the windows version of demeter did *not* work for me.  It seems
that wine could not run the version of perl installed for Demeter, though
the error messages were very cryptic and I have not looked into it any
deeper.

That said, I haven't had any problems with Python on high Sierra, though
I'm using Anaconda Python and wxPython, and happily marching to Python3.6.
Larch does install and run with an shell-script installer, and this does
create small desktop Apps that run the various GUI programs.  To circumvent
Apple's "trusted app provider" thing, these Apps are built with a script
("larch_makeicons") that is run after installation (and so run **by the
user** from Apple's point of view).   That way I don't have to mess around
with py2exe or PyApp (which seem to require continual fiddling), but only
with the conda packages, which seems like much less fiddling to me.

Of course, I would love to incorporate as much of Sixpack into Larch as
possible.  The XAS Viewer app is not fully-featured yet, but it is
progressing.