[Ifeffit] Calculation of NSS and R-factor

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue May 16 07:33:20 CDT 2017

Hello Marine,

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Marine Albertelli <
marine.albertelli at univ-pau.fr> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Could you please tell me what is the difference between the calculation of
> the R-factor and the NSS ?
>
> I found that R-factor is equal to : sum((data - fit)^2)/sum(data^2) and
> NSS = sum((data - fit)^2)/sum(data^2)*100
>
> But when I compare the R-factor obtained by Athena and the NSS divided by
> 100 (calculated by myself) I didn't find the same results.
>
> Did I make a mistake somewhere.
>
> Thank you for your answer.

As you might imagine, it would be very difficult to answer a question about
the comparison you made without seeing more details. Please post data
(perhaps an Athena project file) and a detailed description of what you
actually did, what result you got, and what result you expected to get.

Cheers,