[Ifeffit] nonsensical negative values / restrictions

Felix E. Feiten feiten at cat.hokudai.ac.jp
Fri Jun 23 07:44:21 CDT 2017

Dear Bruce,

thank you very much for your quick and thorough answer.

I used to do I/V-LEED to do structural characterization of surfaces and
there it was pretty common to get stuck in local minima. So my fear was
that this negative R-factor corresponds to a local minimum and that
there is actually a better minimum with reasonable values.

I have noticed that there is some dependence of the fitting results on
the start values used. Also, in one of the very useful videos of you
giving talks about EXAFS you mentioned that the Levenberg-Marquardt
algorithm can end up in a local minimum. However, I'm starting to get
the feeling that this is much less of a problem in EXAFS analysis than
in my previous field. I guess one of the reasons might be that a fit in
IFEFFIT/Artemis takes seconds whereas a single datapoint (i.e. a fully
dynamical scattering calculation for one trial structure) in I/V-LEED
would take ~30 mins.

After having done some systematic variation of parameters with a little
script I wrote (more on that in the respective thread) I'm starting to
realize that the hyperspace in EXAFS fitting seems rather shallow (at
least for my samples).

I don't think that the reason for the physically unreasonable results is
a systematic error, as I have a number of different samples measured in
one beamtime and some of them are fine while others have varying issues
(mostly with too high/low sigma^2 and it's correlation with N).

With kind regards

Felix