[Ifeffit] question about sigma2 and atomic distance

Robert Gordon ragordon at alumni.sfu.ca
Thu Jun 8 17:59:05 CDT 2017

I imagine they could, yes. Motivation to do so is another question entirely.

Considering myself more of an experienced amateur, and a fan of the
Socratic Method, let me ask you a few questions:

What do you currently understand about the relationship between two atoms
in a material and the mean square relative displacement
(i.e. sigma^2) associated with the distance between them?
What does it mean to have a mean-square-displacement? ..and then a
mean-square-relative displacement?
How would correlated, anti-correlated and uncorrelated relative motion
affect the msrd?

Now extend this thinking to an ensemble of atoms.
What might you expect to be the source of a msrd in a perfect crystal at
finite temperature?
What additional contribution may result from imperfections?