[Ifeffit] Help with running GUI

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 7 12:12:22 CDT 2017

Hi Drew,

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Drew Syverson <syverson.drew at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Every time I try to open gse_mapviewer via the terminal on Mac OSX, I keep
> getting the message: "This program needs access to the screen.
> Please run with a Framework build of python, and only when you are
> logged in on the main display of your Mac."
>
> I do not know how to get past this issue on my computer.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, this is a complete pain inflicted by Anaconda Python on Mac OSX.
FWIW, it's a daily struggle for me too, and I've complained to them. ;)

There are two possible solutions:

   a) [recommended for most Mac Users]  Install the Larch Apps. using one
of these methods:
         1.  Open a Terrminal, and type 'larch_makeicons'.  If this does
not work, make sure Anaconda was installed and
              that the Anaconda bin directory is in your path.  Or maybe
just type  $HOME/anaconda2/bin/larch_makeicons
         2.  Or, browse in Finder to $HOME/anaconda2/bin (or where ever you
installed Anaconda python) and click on `larch_makeicons`

        This will create a Larch folder on your Desktop with several Apps
(with icons and everything!) including Larch_GUI and GSEMapViewer.

   b) [python-aficionados] Use 'pythonw' instead of 'python' to launch
Python apps that will draw to the screen, as with
         pythonw $HOME/anaconda2/bin/gse_mapviewer

        You can even edit the gse_mapviewer to have 'pythonw' instead of
'python' in the first line.   This won't persist through updates.
        OTOH, if you install from source, this will get fixed at install
time.  I believe there might be a way to fix this at "conda install time",
        but I haven't worked out the details for that yet.....

Hope that helps!

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431