[Ifeffit] Fitting sorption EXAFS data in Artemis

Alexey Boubnov alexeyboubnov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 06:48:42 CST 2017

Dear Gemma,

you indeed want a feff-input with a central Co on/in a kaolinite matrix.
You should define the location of the Co ion - the simplest assumptions
would be substitution of an Al or Si.

Import the cif and run ATOMS to create the kaolinite structure. Then
replace either Al or Si with Co (index 0) in the atom list and change the
atom with index 0 to Co with its atomic number. Then run FEFF and do the
fitting!

Before running FEFF, control the atoms list and visualise your structure in
a molecular program (e.g. Mercury) to make sure that the structure is as
you wanted - Artemis sometimes builds the structures incorrectly. To export
an atom list in .xyz format, Theory --> FEFF --> write special output -->
xyz, save the list as a .xyz text file and open it in e.g. Mercury. If you
get errors, try another cif file of kaolinite.

All the best!
Alexey