[Ifeffit] Some basic questions

Alexey Boubnov alexeyboubnov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 05:08:36 CST 2017

Dear Pushkar,

1) The priority is the mass, i.e. the number of absorbing atoms of the
measured element, because that determines the edge jump. The thickness
mostly depends on the type of sample and amount of BN (or cellulose) used
and is usually important for the stability and homogeneity of the pellet.
0.5 mm to 1 mm thickness is fine. The thickness affects the total
absorption, so do not use too much BN. If your pure material makes good
pellets without BN, great!

2) You have a bimetallic Cu-Pd alloy. Yes, treat Pd as a neighbour of Cu.
In the feff-input, replace some of the Cu with Pd and calculate the
scattering paths. For the Cu K-edge spectrum, refine the Cu-Cu and Cu-Pd
paths and for the Pd K-edge spectrum refine the Pd-Pd and Pd-Cu paths.
Prior to that, refine the spectra of the pure metals (Cu and Pd foils) to
get an idea of the S02, deltaE0 and sigma2 values that you should expect
for the alloy.
Googling "exafs bimetallic" gives many nice articles.

3) Using linear combination analysis (e.g. in Athena) the fraction of Pd
and Pd2+ can be easily determined.

All the best!
Alexey