[Ifeffit] Information content from Athena for Hamilton test?

Will Bennett w.bennett at griffith.edu.au
Sun Apr 9 22:59:36 CDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding the "Information Content" output in
Athena's LCF window. I've recently been playing around with using the
Hamilton test (as outlined in Scott Calvin's book "XAFS for Everyone") to
interrogate my combinatorics results. As many of you will know, this
requires an estimate of the number of independent measurements in the data,
in order to determine the degrees of freedom and subsequently the "a" value
for computing the Lower Incomplete Beta Function. Would Athena's value for
"Information Content" be appropriate to use as an estimate of the number of
independent measurements in this case? How is this value of "Information
Content" determined in Athena?

Thanks in advance.

Will