[Ifeffit] Help in background removal with Athena

Irina Pi Irina.Pi at icfo.eu
Tue Sep 6 08:56:19 CDT 2016

Dear all,

I am sorry to bother you with my tiny problems, but I have been struggling with it for a long time. The thing is I have XAS data from a graphite sample, and I don't know if I'm plotting the background correctly in it with Athena software, which determines a lot the response in the Fourier transform, and thus in our results.

I'm attaching the data as data_exafs.txt, and also two different Athena projects of different backgrount fittings, graphite_exafs1.prj and graphite_exafs2.prj. Just in case projects cannot be seen, I'm also attaching screenshots (1-01deg.png and 2-01deg.png) of the different background fittings and the parameters used in Athena in only one set of data (01deg), because they are the same in the others (02deg and 35deg). Also, the final R-space plot in both fittings are sent (1-rspace.pdf and 2-rspace.pdf).

What I wanted to ask is why it is so different the result according to the background removal. And are they correct the fittings I've done?

I would like to have a background line similar to the other figure attached (0deg.pdf, but take into account that it is from different data), but I cannot get it. I guess this last fitting seems better, doesn't it?

What could I do to have good results in the Fourier transform?

Again, sorry but I don't have much experience and it seems to be so subjective that I fear doing it all wrong.

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Irina Pi Jauma.