[Ifeffit] Athena and "norm" file groups

Anatoly Frenkel anatoly.frenkel at stonybrook.edu
Sat Oct 15 15:25:58 CDT 2016

I would try to rename .norm by .xmu and see if it will be able to do what
you want.
I would still be cautious doing it because .norm means that the raw data
was already altered (pre-edge function was subtrated and slope changed).
Doing anything like that is possible but not wise because it is not
guaranteed that you would obtain the same result as when you start from the
raw data directly.

For example, suppose "norm1" is normalization operation with one set of
parameters, and "norm2" - with another. Xmu is the raw absorption
coefficient data (obtained from the ratio of detector signals).
It is not likely that norm2 (xmu) will give the same results as
norm2(norm1(xmu)), although the differences may be small. That is the
reason, I think, Athena does not allow any ex post factum normalization to
the normalized data.

Anatoly Frenkel
Stony Brook University