[Ifeffit] ifeffit on Mac OS X: fink package

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 4 07:57:37 CDT 2016

Hi Michael,

Out of curiosity, is there a reason to prefer Fink over MacPorts (which has
Ifeffit and Demeter already available)?   I wouldn't say that MacPorts or
wxPerl on MacPorts are perfect, but it does work for many of us.

As an aside, if you built ifeffit, building Larch should be much easier,
assuming that the scientific python stack is available for Fink.  It's
basically "python setup.py install".  Or, one can install Anaconda Python.

Also, Bruce and I have been working on getting to the point where Demeter
uses Larch by default.   Some of this is at
https://github.com/bruceravel/demeter/pull/40, and Athena with Larch is
working for me on Mac OSX.    I think we have the basic functionality
needed, and are at the testing and tweaking stage.

Making a MacPorts (and/or Fink?) installer for Larch looks like it would be
pretty easy, and that could further simplify distribution for OSX.   That
is, Anaconda Python is very good, but means that one has to install Demeter
with MacPorts and also Larch from an Anaconda channel.  Using a single
packaging system so that  "<something> install demeter"  installed Larch +
Demeter would certainly be easier.  I think that we'd probably be better
off choosing one of the "port Unix tools to OSX" systems. I don't have a
strong opinion, and it's been awhile since I used Fink.

Opinions on Fink vs MacPorts (or the others) would be helpful.

Thanks,

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431