[Ifeffit] error install Demeter

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 30 21:02:05 CST 2016

Hi Maria,

Many people installing from Macports on OSX find:

  a) installing xorg-server is not needed if XQuartz is installed, so that
"sudo port install demeter" is actually sufficient.  Perhaps someone can
correct me if they have a different experience.

  b) the install does sometimes fail, but installing a reduced selection of
the many packages listed as dependencies at a time usually works, and
everything gets installed after a few tries.  As Prof Gaillard suggested
just a few days ago, setting "ulimit -n1024" (that is typing that in the
terminal before running 'sudo port install demeter') should help with this
problem too.

So, the basic message is: keep trying, perhaps installing a few of the
packages at a time if setting "ulimit -n1024" doesn't work.

--Matt

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431