[Ifeffit] Time reversibility of multiple scattering paths

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 05:56:03 CST 2016

Hi David,

The TS path in this example, when reversed, is the identical path. A straightforward enumeration of paths would only list it once.

The DS paths would be listed twice in the enumeration: M — M(1) — M(4) — M and M — M(4) — M(1) — M. Those two paths have identical scattering characteristics, and thus could be replaced by a single path with degeneracy two.

In other words, to find degeneracy, list every possible sequence of scattering. Paths that have identical scattering properties may be grouped together and replaced by a single representative with degeneracy equal to the number of instances. If you think about it that way, the answer to your question becomes evident.

Best,

Scott Calvin
Lehman College