[Ifeffit] difference spectra- Ifeffit Digest, Vol 159, Issue 23

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue May 31 14:58:27 CDT 2016

On 05/31/2016 03:34 PM, sb2c08 at gmail.com wrote:
> This is very helpful thank you. To give a little bit of context, the
> reaction is a solution of W(CO)6 irradiated at 266nm, to give
> W(CO)5*, it would be good to find the overall change of CO distance,
> especially as the multi scattering dominates the EXAFS. Just as a
> final point, the difference spectrum is taken from the normalised
> after and before laser spectra, so supposing the difference is fitted
> directly in Artemis (and coordination number is known/assumed), the
> amplitude factor will give an indication of the % change, supposing
> the Debye-Waller factor is similar to the ground state W(CO)6? But
> normalisation I find is the first difficult issue.

In general specific questions are better than general questions.  The
way you posed your question initially seemed awfully open-ended and I am
always unenthusiastic about open-ended questions.  A question about a
specific material -- W(CO)6 in your case -- seems much more to the
point.  Some of us here spend a lot of time trying to intuit what is
meant by the questions posed on this list.  Specificity is much appreciated.

Are you actually asking me whether I think the sigma^2 will be the same
for W(CO)5 as for W(CO)6?  I truly have no idea.

If you have been reading this list for a while, you will note that a lot
of us so-called-experts make a big deal out of "interpretation" and
"defensible results" and "prior knowledge" and the like.  The need for
things like "interpretation" and "prior knowledge" is the reason that
Artemis (and any program like it) requires a human driver.  While EXAFS
fitting can be automated for certain kinds of well-defined problems,
real research problems are really hard.  That's kind of why they are
research problems!

Setting the W(CO)5 sigma^2 to its ground state value certainly sounds
like a reasonable assumption.  I am hoping you know a heck of a lot more
about the chemistry of your sample than I do -- whether that assumption
is defensible is something that you will have to evaluate for yourself.

Ultimately, that is how hard data analysis is done -- you make a model,
you test the model against the data, and you defend the results.  EXAFS
never /solves/ structures.  Never.  I really mean that -- never.  But
EXAFS analysis can be consistent with your data and part of a defensible
story.  That's what you're doing here.

HTH,

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II