[Ifeffit] Difference spectra- Ifeffit Digest, Vol 159, Issue 21

Anatoly I Frenkel afrenke2 at yu.edu
Tue May 31 13:20:20 CDT 2016

Hi Stu,

In full agreement with Bruce, what you want to do can be done, and it was done a few times before.
I think the first group that applied conventional EXAFS analysis to differential signals was Pettifer et al in Nature (2005), to analyze EXAFS in magnetrostrictors measured at different values of magnetic field.  Then, C. Konig et al did a similar trick for a catalyst under different atmospheres. They also used conventional EXAFS equation to fit the difference because the model allowed them to do so (the changes in the amplitude factors was also an amplitude factor and could be obtained from the fit because the fitting program does not know what the meaning of amplitude factors is, you do.

I want to warn you that normalization of the amplitude of your EXAFS data will be the trickiest part because it depends on how many absorbing species changed structure during the excitation.

In my work we also used this method in a couple of papers, Spanjers et al (for Pd nanoparticles under Ar and inert environment), and Korobko et al, (2015) using electrostrictors with and without applied electric field. The latter example is here:

https://pubweb.bnl.gov/~frenkel/CGO/CGO-modulations.pdf

The references to Pettifer and Konig works are Refs 19 and 20.

Regards,
Anatoly

P.S. If anyone is interested, a postdoctoral position has just opened up in my group, for research of electromechanical materials. Please contact me for further information: frenkel at bnl.gov