[Ifeffit] doubt on number of variables

Jesús Eduardo Vega Castillo jevecas at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:17:24 CDT 2016

Dear all,

Perhaps this question is silly but I need to clarify a doubt I have:

As far as I understand the number of variables refers to those parameters
which have been "guessed" in the fit and it is limited by the number of
independent points.

If I have a group of variables but only set to guess a few of them while
fixing the others, then fix some of the obtained values and guess other
variables; I might include a large number of parameters in the resulting
fit (even more than the independent points) without increasing the Number
of variables of each individual fit. This also would keep reduced chi2 from
increasing too much.

Would this be cheating?
The total number of parameters included is always restricted by the Number
of independent points?
or
Can I include all the parameters I want as long as I set to guess no more
that the number of independent points at the time?

Thank you in advance as always,

Yours

Jesús
esús