[Ifeffit] Question about Io during data collection

Luxton, Todd Luxton.Todd at epa.gov
Thu Mar 31 09:27:57 CDT 2016

All:

Recently our group was at the APS collecting Pb L(III) spectra on an ID line using quick XAFS.  Data was collected from -200 to +800 eV for Pb L(III) at 0.2 eV steps with a count rate of 0.025 seconds.  Each scan took about 2.5 minutes to complete.   During our measurements we began noting issues with the linearity of scans collected in the extended region of the same sample.  After poking around in the data we noticed that Io was not linear throughout the measurement for a portion of the scans.  This was not always the true (see Athena project attached to the email, and images attache to the email).  I was always under the impression that Io should ideally remain linear throughout the energy region scanned, or at least remain unchanged between replicate scans.  We worked with the beamline scientists to try alleviate/fix the issue, but it kept persisting.   I realize this is not an IFEFFIT issue, but I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what was going on and why this was happening?  If I have not included enough information for the question please let me know.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D18B37.F66BD820]

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D18B37.F66BD820]

All the Best,

todd

All the Best,

Todd Luxton, Ph.D.
Office of Research and Development
National Risk Management Research Laboratory
Land Remediation and Pollution Control Division
Waste Management Branch

Mailing Address:
5995 Center Hill Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45243

Phone:
Office: (513) 569-7210
Cell: (513) 319-5104
Fax: (513) 569-7879

Email: Luxton.todd at epa.gov<mailto:Luxton.todd at epa.gov>

"A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself"
Franklin D. Rosevelt