[Ifeffit] where can I acquire quantitative date on the attenuation at the low-energy end of Zn and some of its compounds

Nino Pereira ninorpereira at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 14:41:16 CDT 2016

Dear All,

I'm not part of your community, but I've been at the APS synchrotron enough
to know that you might have the information I'm looking for,
and willing to share it. My question is in the subject line.

The reason for this question is an upcoming measurement of the ionization
energy shift in a hot plasma. We have chosen Ta, because its Lbeta-2 line
happens to be slightly lower in energy than the nominal energy of the
Zn K-edge. Hence, a small increase, perhaps as low as 1 eV, should
produce a substantial change in the attenuation of a sufficiently thick
K-edge filter. Crystal spectrometers of the type we use rarely have
a resolution that exceeds 2000, so that for a 10 keV l-line we could
as best see a 5 eV energy change.

With the same approach we could measure a ~10 eV shift
on the ~63,000 eV Kalpha_2 line of Ir, with a K-edge filter of Lu.
It so happens that their nominal energies are 27 eV apart (according
to the x-ray data booklet, not according to Deslattes et al, 2001),
so that the line and the K-ege overlap. Both are life time
broadened by about 40 eV, so as the energy of the line increases,
the transmission of a filter decreases. We first separate the two
Kalpha lines (which are 1.3 keV apart), and then measured the decrease
in the intensity behind the filter.

The idea is to preferentially absorb the high-energy side of the Ir
Kalpha_2 line,
so that an increase in the line center becomes a decrease in line intensity
behind the filter.

I appreciate any comment you may have on this matter.

Thank you,

Nino