[Ifeffit] Collected k-space and fitting range

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Mar 4 08:40:23 CST 2016

On 03/03/2016 08:33 PM, Taehoon Kim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a bit confused about the range of k-space, which may affect the
> quality of EXAFS fitting.
> I would like to understand whether there is a difference between the
> fitting using an identical fitting range of k-space obtained from
> different range of k-space collected.
>
> For example, is there a notable difference between a fitting of k =
> 2.3-11 which was deduced from a spectra data collected up to k=12 and a
> spectra data collected up to k=13 ?

The fit is made over the specified k-range and /does not/ consider the
data outside the k-range.  It's really that simple.

It happens often that we collect data over a larger range than we choose
to analyze.  It can be hard to tell before making a measurement at what
point the statistical or systematic noise in the measurement will become
bigger than the signal. As Scott suggests, we typically measure over a
somewhat large data range then restrict the analysis to a more
conservative range in order to exclude the part of the data for which
the signal is swamped by the noise.

It is for that reason that Athena provides you with separate controls
for the k-range of the background removal and of the Fourier transform.

HTH,

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II