[Ifeffit] determining reasonable fitting parameters

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:59:51 CDT 2016

This is also related to whether it is appropriate to apply a McMaster correction to sigma2 after fitting, right? (Or “during,” but since it’s just an offset, it amounts to the same thing.) In Bruce’s method, a McMaster correction is appropriate, although often it’s small in comparison with the reported uncertainties anyway. In Matthew’s method, there is no need for a McMaster correction. Essentially McMaster attempts to correct for using a constant normalization instead of the expected smooth decrease in the normalization factor after the edge. Or am I remembering the meaning of that correction wrong?

—Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College