[Ifeffit] determining reasonable fitting parameters

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 27 15:56:41 CDT 2016

Oh, so it assumes that chi(k) = (mu(E(k))-spline(k))/const.?  Mine does (mu(E(k))-spline(k))/spline(k), which I guess has its own problems - any wiggles
driven in the spline will multiply the EXAFS.  I haven't seen any effect from this, though.  Maybe the right thing is (mu(E(k))-spline(k))/smooth(E(k))
where smooth is a smooth post-edge background such as a polynomial or spline with fewer knots than the subtraction spline or even a tensioned spline.  I'd
be willing to bet that this refinement will make no detectable difference, especially if you do the reference data the same way.  I've found that you can do
the most amazingly bogus things and get away with it as long as you do them equally to your reference and unknown, especially if the reference is very
similar to the unknown.  Of course, you can't rely on that.
	mam