[Ifeffit] determining reasonable fitting parameters

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 27 15:39:03 CDT 2016

I'm not sure I get your point about ion-chamber response.  Shouldn't that normalize out in post-edge spline?
If the I0 chamber gets less sensitive as a function of energy, then the post-edge background rises by the same amount
as the wiggles get bigger, so it divides out.  Similarly for probe-depth effects, depending on concentration.  Another
couple of possible sources of amplitude error:
1.	The model for the pre-edge background is inaccurate, so that its extrapolation to the EXAFS region is incorrect.
	For instance, if there's a lot of elastic scatter getting into the fluorescence detector, then the pre-edge is curved,
	and if you model that with a straight line fitted near the edge, them you'll be off far from the edge.  Similarly, in
	a long transmission scan, both pre- and post-edge are curved.  My background-sub program has simple models for thse
	shapes which aren't perfect but help.  This effect is really hard to control for because you have no real way to know
	what the 'right' answer is, most of the time.

2.	Overabsorption will definitely reduce the amplitude of the wiggles, and I'm surprise Bruce didn't menntion it.  It looks
	much like pinhole effect.  Harmonics do similar things as well in transmission.

I still haven't heard how you do EXAFS analysis using the short spectrum from Hepheastus.
	mam