[Ifeffit] determining reasonable fitting parameters

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 20 18:36:59 CDT 2016

Did you do  any correction for the multi-electron bumps?  Here's a note
I made for myself when doing CeO2 EXAFS:

Problem:  Ce L3-edge spectra are polluted by multi-electron peaks (MEP)
which appear as
bumps right in the important range and can corrupt 1st-shell analysis,
Gomilšek, et, al (Acta Chim. Slov. 51,23(2004)) give an estimate for the
MEP feature
for 3+ and 4+ states:

For 3+, a single Lorentzian peak, height 2.5% of edge jump, FWHM 17eV,
position 5852eV.
For 4+, two peaks:
Pos(eV)	Height	FWHM(eV)
5857	2.7%	12
5877	1.1%	 7

Their energy calibration is with respect to Cr (5989eV),  but it seems
from their Figure 1 that it's
the same as mine,  The first peak of CeO2 appears at 5730eV, as I assume.

Thus, the procedure might be:
Reduce the file to .e (pre-edge subtracted, post-edge normalized).
Fit this to 3+ and 4+ references to get the 3+ fraction x3.
Subtract from the .e a contribution x3*(3+ MEP)+(1-x3)*(4+ MEP).
Convert to k-space and proceed as normal.

Here, ".e" files are pre-edge subtracted, post-edge normalized XANES.  I
wrote  a program that fits an unknown .e to a sum of CeO2 and Ce3+ refs
to get the Ce4+ fraction, then subtracts the peaks.  This results in
something unpolluted by MEP.
	mam