[Ifeffit] Artemis - Atom/Feff issues

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Jul 18 12:40:09 CDT 2016

Hi Marcus,

Your cif file is confusing to me in several ways.  It will also be
confusing to the tool in Demeter that interprets crystal data.

Firstly, your space group is tetragonal (P -4 21 m), but you have a=b=c
and alpha=beta=gamma.  That's not exactly wrong, per se, but it is an
unusual way of expressing the dimensions of your unit cell.

You lattice constants are surprising and problematic.  You have a=b=c=1.
  1 Angstrom is a highly unusual lattice constant and almost certainly
not what you want.  At least, not what you want when interacting with
Demeter.

Most problematically, your positions in the unit cell are expressed in
numbers that suggest Angstrom units rather than fractional position in
the unit cell.  Perhaps this point is not made clearly enough in the
document, but Demeter expects that atom positions are in fractional units.

For example, germanium is diamond structure, space group Fd3m, a=5.658.
The position of the Ge atom is (0.125,0.125,0.125).  The position is
!NOT! (0.70725,0.70725,0.70725).

When Demeter finds a position less than 0 or greater than 1, it moves
that position back into the first unit cell in the upper, right
quadrant.  So, when it sees a position like (2.69220, 1.31120, 2.64190),
which is your La position, it moves that to (0.69220, 0.31120, 0.64190).
  That behavior makes a lot of sense when working with fractional
coordinates, but is clearly problematic given that your cif file has
weird lattice constants and (I think) Cartesian coordinates for the
atoms positions.

It's very hard for me to know how best to advise you because I don't
really know what what you are trying to do.  Perhaps you are using
Mercury or some other tool to generate a cluster of Cartesian
coordinates.  That's fine.  In that case, you want to convert that
cluster to a feff.inp file and skip the Atoms page entirely.  See, for
instance:

https://speakerdeck.com/bruceravel/modeling-non-crystalline-samples?slide=9

Executive summary: you seem to be trying to do something differently
from how Demeter actually works.  Think about fitting your work flow to
what Demeter does rather than the other way around.