[Ifeffit] Artemis - Atoms/Feff issues

M.F.Bertuzzo mb733 at kent.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 11:57:31 CDT 2016

Dear all,

Having a spot of trouble with Feff calculations at the moment, any help would be much appreciated.

A little info before I describe the problem:

I have performed Crystal14 calculations on a system to optimise its geometry. After completing this, I opened the output file in J-Ice so that I could then save the file in .pdb format, so I could then open it inside of Mercury (v3.8) which would then allow me to save the file as a .CIF, to be used for Feff a calculation in Artemis. All okay so far.

But, when I open the CIF file inside of Artemis it thinks that some of the atoms sit only 0.02Angstroms apart from one another - obviously wrong. Yet when the file is viewed in Mercury (or whatever graphical interface you wish to use) it correctly displays the atoms, as opposed to Artemis which is somehow populating 500+ atoms within a small distance of just 5 Angstroms.

Is this something to do with the Cluster size? I have tried to arbitrarily increase it to a higher number to prevent it from finding atoms just 0.02Angstroms apart, but even then it locates atoms 0.14Angstroms apart which is still wrong.

I have attached the structure (in .XYZ format) I am trying to work on so you can view it as well as its CIF format that I have been trying to open up inside of Artemis to run Feff.

Thanks for any assistance!

Marcus

Postgraduate Researcher in Chemistry
University of Kent