[Ifeffit] Athena and Artemis on the Mac

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Jul 8 08:39:43 CDT 2016

A few minutes ago, I made a post suggesting a work-around to a problem
reported by a Mac user.

My suggestion was an inherently horrible solution.  That sort of
line-by-line hackery is completely unsustainable.  The real solution is
that that fellow and his colleague should both be using the most recent
version of Athena.

If Athena and Artemis are to be supported on the Mac, then someone is
going to have to find the time and willingness to maintain the Mac
packaging.

Joe Fowler did an amazingly generous thing when he made the MacPorts
package, but Joe does not (to my knowledge) use Athena and Artemis for
his own work.  Someone who is invested in the use of the software simply
has to step up.

I myself have neither the resources nor the interest in doing so.  If no
one steps up, then there simply won't be support for my software on the Mac.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II
  Building 743, Room 114