[Ifeffit] Breaking off spec files within Athena

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Jul 7 10:52:37 CDT 2016

On 07/07/2016 10:59 AM, Katharine Elizabeth Silberstein wrote:
> The Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS) primarily uses SPEC
> software for XAS data collection. The data output is one continuous file
> containing individual scans. We are able to break off scans to import
> into Athena. For the convenience of CHESS users, is there any way for
> Athena to recognize a continuous file besides manually setting data
> ranges during import?

There is nothing currently made for Athena allowing her to read spec
files of arbitrary length.  The mechanism for doing so would involve
writing a filetype plugin as described here:

http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/documents/Athena/other/plugin.html

These plugins aren't all that hard to write, although they do need to be
written in perl.  You may find it easier to write your own tool that
splits apart your spec files.  Or. I suppose, tell your beamline to
start a new spec file for each scan.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II
  Building 743, Room 114