[Ifeffit] Effect of gradual thickness variation in beam

Jason Gaudet jason.r.gaudet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:32:43 CST 2016

Hi Anatoly,

Sorry, I meant to write 1000 um inner diameter.

Energies will be V and Fe, 5465 & 7112 eV.  Samples are roughly 1
absorption length thick for the metal (V, Fe) and about 2-2.5 absorption
lengths for the entire sample.

Bruce,

I may just flip over the sample holder and have the sample tubes in plane
with the storage ring to take advantage of the greater horizontal spread,
rather than focusing on the vertical.  Cutting the vertical slits down to
100-300 um while keeping the horizontal around 500 um ought to get me the
most beam at the least variation in mu(E), especially if I go with 1500 um
ID tubes.  The samples are nice and concentrated so I can afford to give up
a lot of photon flux.  Bar-napkin calculations tell me with a 1500 um ID
tube and 200 um V 750 um H slits I'll lose an acceptable amount of photon
flux and have a <1% thickness variation.  I'm fairly confident I've made
pressed pellets with as much or more variation from one spot to another,
without noticeable mu(E) changes from spot to spot, in the vicinity of this
energy range.

I'll go ahead and take your advice, and amend my setup procedure with some
measurements of Io intensity and mu(E) reproducibility as a function of
slit width.  While a bit of a bother, it's still worth it to keep our
sample prep simple and inexpensive.

Thanks,

Jason