[Ifeffit] XANES pre-edge vs. edge features

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Mon Jan 25 09:06:17 CST 2016

Hi Aditya,

Matt gave a good explanation of what’s responsible for the various features, which was part of your question. Another aspect of your question has to do with the way we use terminology.

(Bruce’s answer, and your response, came in while I was writing this. So it may be somewhat superfluous, but since it’s already mostly written, I figure I’ll pass it along.)

As Matt said, “edge” is a poorly defined term. One meaning of it is that it’s the big rise in absorption that occurs at the start of a XAFS spectrum. That, for example, is the meaning that’s in use when we try to quantify an “edge step” or an “edge jump” so that we can normalize the data. In that sense, if a feature occurs before most of that rise, it can be called “pre-edge.”

But another use of the word “edge” is as a synonym for “E0,” which is itself a concept that is not unambiguously defined. One definition of E0 would be “the energy origin needed to make the EXAFS equation accurate.” But the EXAFS equation is itself an approximation which is only useful at energies starting many eV above E0. So there’s no theoretical reason that the E0 used in EXAFS has to correspond to an energy with a simple theoretical meaning or to any particular feature in the spectrum. The best we can say is that it should be within, or sometimes a bit above, the rising portion of the absorption spectrum.

But when we’re trying to align and process data we need some working definition of E0, both for XANES analysis and to get a preliminary chi(k) for EXAFS analysis. So we come up with other definitions, such as “the maximum of the first significant peak in the first derivative spectrum.” As Bruce said, the exact definition used is not important, but it is important that the same definition be used with all spectra being compared.

Depending on the definition chosen, the preliminary value of E0 may very well be chosen well below the bulk of the rise in the spectrum. If we call the energy of E0 the “edge,” but also call features that come before the big rise "pre-edge features,” we end up with the confusing terminology that the edge energy may well be below some of the pre-edge features!

That terminology is unfortunate for people new to the field, but rarely causes any actual ambiguity.

—Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College