[Ifeffit] Regarding calculations for scattering amplitude

Anatoly I Frenkel afrenke2 at yu.edu
Sun Jan 24 22:02:25 CST 2016

Hi Pushkar,

Modeling nanoparicle size, shape, structure and morphology reliably by EXAFS is possible only if you have evidence that your particles have narrow size distribution, especially if the average size is expected to be around 1-2nm.

Also, in the case of Pd, beware of formation of beta-hydride if you exposed your NPs to hydrogen and measured your samples below 400 C.

If it is a metal NP (not a hydride) and it has narrow size distribution, the next step depends crucially on the average size. For 1nm or so, you may try to take advantage of multiple scattering modeling methods we developed in 1997 and there are a few reviews. We have posted web-based software to generate cluster coordinates for regular polyhedral clusters of various symmetries and I can send you a link if you are interested. We also have a software to calculate CN in such clusters, or any clusters with xyz coordinates known, including bimetallics.  It is the same idea as what Max described in his post earlier. For larger particles, Scott Calvin's method in his JAP paper works great.

For strained clusters, completely different approaches should be used but those are usually tried after regular cluster models do not work well or you expect strain to be large. If that is the case let me know and I will send a summary of recent works by us and others to show how to take into account strain.

For clusters with broad size distributions we developed approach which combines a correlated  analysis of XAFS and TEM data. Let me know if that interests you and I will send references.

Anatoly

Sent from my iPhone