[Ifeffit] Peakfitting CeO2 data in Athena

Stephanie Laga stephanie.laga at yale.edu
Wed Dec 7 12:33:44 CST 2016

Dear all,

I am trying to extract the % Ce(III) from some CeO2 nanoparticle XAS data. I
have been using moved the peak fitting function in Athena to model the
XANES with an arctan background function and a series of gaussians.

Looking through the literature I haven't seen too many specifics to using
this approach (rationale for choosing the widths of peaks or how to define
the background function). Similarly, doesn't seem to be much rationale for
choosing a 4 vs 5 peak fit for the XANES.

My main question is then...1) Is there a rational for picking the
background function, specifically the height and width (can I let the
height vary or should I be keeping a constant arctan through all samples)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Stephanie