[Ifeffit] Phase correction not working in Athena

Sebastian George sebastian.george at physics.uu.se
Wed Aug 31 08:05:55 CDT 2016

Dear all,

I hope that I am writing this in the correct place, and if I am not, I apologize. The problem I'm having is pretty much summed up in the Subject line. I'm analyzing some experimental EXAFS data in Athena, and it seems that ticking the "phase correction" box has no effect on my Forward Fourier transform. Has anybody run into this problem, and if so, were you able to fix it? The material I'm studying is amorphous SmCo. Could it be that having multiple backscattering species or a lack of crystalline structure causing problems for the phase correction?

More generally, I'm wondering how exactly this phase correction is determined anyway. If used, is it the sort of thing that can put the first peak in my FT fairly close to the true nearest neighbor distance? Perhaps a better phrased question is: when can the phase transformation be expected to give a quantitatively accurate radial distribution (in terms of peak positions), and when is it more likely to only be qualitatively useful? Also, I would have assumed that a backscattering species would need to be given in order to calculate the phase shift, but I haven't found anywhere to do that. Have I missed something?

Thank you for any help in advance!

Regards,
Sebastian