[Ifeffit] Applicable scope of delr=alpha*reff

woschangqiang woschangqiang at 126.com
Wed Aug 3 07:19:51 CDT 2016

Than you very much for the provided link from Bruce Ravel and answer from Scott Calvin.

At 2016-08-02 20:58:36, "Scott Calvin" <scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu> wrote:
If you think it’s plausible that the crystal is expanded or contracted isotropically and homogeneously, then it’s a model worth trying. It’s usually my first model for fitting just about any crystalline material. Often, the resulting fits are not good, and then I have to try other models. But sometimes, particularly when the differences from my model structure are small, it works fairly well.

In terms of the criteria I described here and elsewhere, it has the advantage of “simplicity” under criterion 4. Whether or not it produces a good fit under the other criteria is, of course, something that you have to find out for each system.

—Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College