[Ifeffit] Ifeffit Digest, Vol 158, Issue 3

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Sun Apr 3 21:15:10 CDT 2016

Yup.  In fact, self absorption, in the correct sense, can help reduce "self-absorption" in the misnomer sense!  That's how the grazing-exit method works.

I might also note that although many elaborate schemes have been proposed for correcting for the effect, they all require knowing things about the
sample that you don't always know, e.g. the exact geometry of something that isn't planar, or the exact composition.  I find that the simple parameterization
which comes from a thick-planar-sample model works reasonably well as an empirical method with an unknown parameter.  Still, I wouldn't necessarily trust
Debye-Waller (ss2) values taken from EXAFS on strongly overabsorbed samples, even with a correction that gets the right coordination number.
	mam