[Ifeffit] Problem with Hephaestus at Ca L-edges (Matthew Marcus)

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 24 11:15:14 CDT 2015

Hi Matthew, Jana,

I think the Chantler values, especially in Hephaestus, are not particularly
robust at the Ca L edges.

To be clear, Elam gives L3, L2, and L1 energies as 346.2, 349.7,  and 438.4
eV, and the edge jumps as 5.8, 1.4, and 1.1.  I believe those edge jumps
may have originated from Shaltout -- maybe Bruce can clarify that.

The Chantler data from the NIST FFast web page (and in Hephaestus) are
quite sparse.  This is a definitely a problem for using the anomalous
scattering factors near edges. I've talked with Chris Chantler about this a
few times over the years.  Not too long ago, he sent me data on a finer
grid -- but he also told be recently that he hoped to have even better data
he could send to me soon (all time-scales here on months-to-years here).

I've included the finer data I have from Chantler into Larch. But the
results for the Ca L edges are still not encouraging.   The attached figure
and ASCII data file give the results for mu(E) (gr/cm^2) from Elam and from
Chantler.  It's hard to see an L2 edge in either, and Chantler does not
show an L1 edge.

FWIW, the script to generate this is:

####################
energies = linspace(300, 500, 101)
muca_chantler = mu_chantler('Ca', energies)
muca_elam = mu_elam('Ca', energies)

newplot(energies, muca_chantler, ymax = 50000, label='Chantler')
plot(energies, muca_elam, label='Elam')

info_head = 'Ca edge Energy(eV)  Fyield   EdgeJump'

info_l3 = ' L3       %.1f    %.5f    %.2f' % xray_edge('Ca', 'L3')
info_l2 = ' L2       %.1f    %.5f    %.2f' % xray_edge('Ca', 'L2')
info_l1 = ' L1       %.1f    %.5f    %.2f' % xray_edge('Ca', 'L1')

write_ascii('CaMu.dat', energies, muca_elam, muca_chantler,
             info_head, info_l3, info_l2, info_l1,
             label='Energy  MuCa_Elam  MuCa_Chantler')

I'm not sure that gives a lot of insight except that not trusting
Chantler's values for these values might be reasonable.