[Ifeffit] Problems during copper (II) oxide data treatment

Pedro F B D Martins pedrofbdmartins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 21:46:18 CDT 2015

Hi everyone, I’m having problems during the data treatment. The two samples
(please find the project attached with the as-obtained data only, not with
the following treatment) are of CuO (copper (II) oxide) were measured in a
row and both were measured together with a reference (Cu foil). I have some
doubts:

1) The first thing that I did was to calibrate the Reference of the first
measurement (peak at maximum of first derivative). Next, I aligned the
second Reference keeping the first reference as standard. Did I do
correctly until now?

2) I removed the glitches that appeared in the pre-edge (1 glitch) and the
EXAFS region (3 glitches) in both measurements.

3)  Next, I set the E0 for both samples in the background removal session
to set the 0 (zero) point in chi(k). However, when I plot chi(k) the
samples profile in high k values differ. I think that they should be at
least very close considering that both are the same copper oxide standard
and measured in sequence. Am I correct?

4) I've also noticed that the first measurement (Cu_o_2), when plot in
chi(R) has a small (but significant) peak positioned at R = 1, which seems
not be right, as bond distances are bigger (> 1.5, for example). Is there
anything wrong or missing at background removal treatment?

I know that it seems novice doubts but as I’m new to XAFS, it really
intrigues me.

Best regards,

Pedro Martins