[Ifeffit] No plot window in Athena/Demeter on Mac OS X Yosemite

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 22 21:32:40 CDT 2015

Sorry for not keeping up with the "Athena on OS X" details.  Here's my
experience (OS X 10.10.5, up to date patches from Apple) which might be
helpful to some.

Athena from macports was working fine for me, but was many months old. This
evening I did

  sudo port -v selfupdate
  sudo port install xorg-server

This installed many updates -- it had been awhile. I then did
  sudo port uninstall demeter
  sudo port install demeter

athena ran, but would not plot, in the way many had seen.  The gnuplot
program was set to "gnuplot", but terminal was "qt".  Setting this to
"wxt", plotting worked fine.

Not sure why that happened (I'm pretty sure it had been "wxt" previously),
but it was easy to fix.   And I'm still very impressed that the macports
solution works so well!