[Ifeffit] No plot window in Athena/Demeter on Mac OS X Yosemite

Rémi BELISSONT bel_5700 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:18:50 CDT 2015

Hello,

I’m currently using Athena using the iXAFS 3.0.3 application, which is – if I’ve well understood – an old version no longer updated (http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Downloads).

So, today I tried to install the current version by installing Demeter, following the procedure detailed at http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/.

I’ve *carefully* installed Macports 2.3.3, i.e., installed Xcode 6.4, agreed to Xcode licence, and installed Macports for OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
I runned the sudo port -v self update command
Then sudo port install xorg-server demeter
And port upgrade outdated to ensure everything is up to date
Plus, I have XQuartz 2.7.7 installed.

Here is my problem.
Athena launches well from the Terminal (in home directory), I have the main window (pearl5.22), I can import data or load former athena projects etc, but there is no plot window. No error message shows up in the terminal. However I can still produce a PNG of the plot I’m desperately trying to see via Plots/Save last plot as...

I’ve seen a similar thread concerning such an issue in OS X Mavericks but couldn’t solve it from what was explained there (http://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/pipermail/ifeffit/2014-January/011644.html). I guess the issue comes from the DISPLAY environment but I don’t have any clue to solve that.

Thank you in advance for your help,
I think it may be useful for other users,

Kind regards,

Rémi