[Ifeffit] larch xray plugin - incorrect chantler data at edges

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 14 07:35:54 CDT 2015

Hi Johannes,

I guess I hadn't tested the Chantler results below about 1 keV, and
certainly not at 100 eV. To be clear, Chantler claims the error bars on
these value of "50 to 200%" below 200 eV.   But the spline interpolation is
much, much worse than that!

Spline interpolation is definitely preferred at higher energies, and where
the grid of tabulated data is fine enough.   But we should better explore
when that is valid, and/or automatically use linear interpolation below
some energy, and/or allow the user to select the interpolation order.

Anyway, thanks very much.   We should make this better at all energy ranges.

--Matt