[Ifeffit] Problem with Perl interpreter

Wojciech Olszewski wolszewski at cells.es
Mon Nov 16 01:53:52 CST 2015

On 11/13/2015 11:41 AM, Bruce Ravel wrote:

>Hi Wojciech,
>

 >Why are you installing perl independently of Demeter? Do you have some
other use on your >computer that requires you to install perl?
Installing another version of Strawberry Perl is >almost certain to
clobber Demeter. Demeter is currently using perl 5.18, which is not
binary >compatible with 5.22. So, when you install the other version of
perl things will break. If you >take care to install a very recent
version of Demeter to a different installation directory >than you use
to install Strawberry 5.22, it is possible that the two can be made to
co-exist. > >If you install them to the same installation folder -- say
C:\strawberry -- then Demeter is >guaranteed to be broken be due to the
binary incompatibility. So ... did you install the other >version of
perl prior to noticing that Demeter was broken? If so, there are ways to
proceed, >but it may get a bit complicated. At the very least, you can
uninstall both packages completely >then resinstall Demeter. That should
leave you with a functioning Demeter, but it may break >other software.
Did you install Strawberry 5.22 because you have some other use for perl
on >your computer? If so, can your other software work with the version
of perl that comes with >Demeter? That is, do you really need Strawberry
5.22? Executive summary: I think you problem is >binary compatibility
between perl version, of which you seem to have two on your computer. If
 >all of that doesn't solve your problem, it's going to take a lot more
effort to troubleshoot >the problem.

>Good luck!

Dear Bruce,
The timeline of this problem was as follows:
1) Demeter was working fine;
2) One day I couldn't run any of the Demeter software - error message "Per interpreter has stopped working;
3) Reinstallation of Demether - the problem is still there;
4) Installation of perl (in other folder, not the same as Demeter) - the problem is still there;
5) Mail to mailing list;
6) Deinstallation of Demether and Perl;
7) Installation of Demeter.
Unfortunately the problem is still there. I receive the same error message.
Best regards,
Wojciech

--

ALBA Synchrotron <http://www.albasynchrotron.es>

	Wojciech Olszewski
BL22 - CLAESS: Core Level Absorption & Emission Spectroscopies -
Experiments Division

ALBA SYNCHROTRON LIGHT SOURCE
Ctra. BP 1413 km. 3,3 | 08290 | Cerdanyola del Vallès| Barcelona | Spain
<http://www.albasynchrotron.es/AboutUs/Access>
(+34) 93 592 4059
www.albasynchrotron.es <http://www.albasynchrotron.es>|
wolszewski at cells.es <mailto:wolszewski at cells.es>

**Please, do not print this e-mail unless it is absolutely necessary.
**Si heu rebut aquest correu per error, us informo que pot contenir
informació confidencial i privada i que està prohibit el seu ús. Us
agrairíem que ho comuniqueu al remitent i l'elimineu. Gràcies.
Si ha recibido este correo por error, le informo de que puede contener
información confidencial y privada y que está prohibido su uso. Le
agradeceré que lo comunique a su remitente y lo elimine. Gracias.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please note that it may
contain confidential and private information, therefore, the use of this
information is strictly forbidden. Please inform the sender of the error
and delete the information received. Thank you.